Why are Mac software updates important?
You need to update Mac OS and applications regularly because of the following reasons:
- Mac updates often add new features and functionality to an existing application or operating system, enhancing the overall user experience. Not updating your Mac systems might mean missing out of all these features and enhancements.
- Some updates (or patches) fix critical security flaws that can be exploited by cyber criminals to infect your computer with malware. If these patches aren’t installed, it will make your network vulnerable to attacks.
How can you update Mac OS & applications?
You can manage macOS updates either manually or via a Mac update management software (or Mac patch management software). Considering the number of updates (patches) that are released, it is almost impossible to do it manually for a large network. Hence, IT teams need an automated Mac patch management solution that not only installs updates for mac OS and applications, but also for third party applications (i.e; Adobe, Java, etc).
How to update Mac using Desktop Central
Desktop Central’s agent-based solution handles every aspect of automatic Mac update installation, which includes system discovery, identifying the required Mac updates, deploying relevant patches, hotfixes, security updates, and providing patch reports to make network administrators’ job simple. Network Managers can opt for this completely automated patch management software solution and don’t have to worry about patching Mac systems ever.
Patch Management is my favorite feature. Being able to automate patch deployment for over 6,500 systems saves me time and effort.
Matt Rooney, BMI Health Care
What features does Desktop Central support for Mac patch management?
- Updated vulnerability database at ManageEngine site to assess the vulnerability status of the network
- Completely automated Mac Patch Management Solution for both physical and virtual assets.
- Scans the network periodically to detect missing and applicable patches for endpoints within a network.
- Patch based deployment – Allows you to deploy a patch to all the systems applicable
- System based patch deployment – Deploy all the missing patches and hotfixes for a system
- Provision to test and approve patches prior to bulk deployment
- Automatic handling of patch interdependencies and patch sequencing
- Exhaustive reports on system vulnerabilities, patches, OS, etc.
- Periodic updates on the patch deployment status.
- Support for third-party patches.
- Support for anti-virus definition updates.
How does patch management work in Desktop Central?
The mac patch management architecture remains the same as Windows patch management. To know more about patch management architecture, refer to this: Patch Management Architecture
Supported macOS Versions
Desktop Central supports Mac updates for the following versions:
Supported Applications for Mac
To know more about the supported applications refer to this: Patch Management Supported Applications.